Sponsorship and Charitable Donation Policy
At the core of Colonial Downs corporate philosophy is a commitment to “Lead by Example.” Colonial Downs will lead by example in supporting the communities in which we operate. We contribute to local charities and lend our support, facilities and volunteer time to community-based charity events, ranging from festivals to fundraisers.
Our aim is to meaningfully improve the quality of life in the communities where our team members live and work. It is the policy of Colonial Downs to accept donation requests to help provide funding to local non-profit organizations and/or groups. It is our goal to partner with community organizations to help meet their mission and improve quality of life in our community. Often, we partner to help local organizations to be more successful with fundraisers. Please review the following guidelines in full. Completion of this form does NOT guarantee that we will be able to fulfill the request.
- Applicants must have tax-exempt status under section 501(c)(3) of the Internal Revenue Code, and must be physically located in the city, town or region where Colonial Downs has a business interest.
- 501c(3) or 501c(4)designated organizations should complete a donation request form and submit it to Colonial Downs with additional partnership/levels of participation and recognition for each attached.
- Requests should be made no later than 45 days prior to the start of the quarter in which the donation is needed. Also, when considering commitment dates, organization/groups should keep in mind their deadline dates for printing, advertising, etc. rather than the event date. *If requests are not received within the timeframe schedule below, Colonial Downs reserves the right to not consider the request.
For funding needed January – March the application deadline is November 15 (previous year).
For funding needed April – June the application deadline is February 15 (current year).
For funding needed July – September the application deadline is May 15 (current year).
For funding needed October – December the application deadline is August 15 (current year).
Some donations are excluded by our policy:
- Organizations that are not 501(c)(3) entities.
- Political causes, candidates, organizations or campaigns.
- Organizations that discriminate on the basis of age, color, disability, disabled veteran status, gender, race, religion, national origin, marital status, sexual orientation or military service.
- Administrative expenses or programs with administrative expenses in excess of 15%.
- Capital project funding.
- Purchase of uniforms or trips for school-related organizations and booster clubs, youth athletics or amateur sports teams.
- Activities whose sole purpose is promotion or support of a specific religion, denomination or religious institution.
- Fraternal, alumni, trade, professional or social organizations.
- Grants to individuals or loans of any type, individual medical fundraisers, political or partisan organizations/ candidates and study or travel grants (scholarships, stipends, writing allowances).
- To sponsor fundraisers for individuals (i.e. fundraisers to cover individual’s medical expenses, benefits, etc.)]
- To fund construction projects.
- To market gaming to minors. Therefore, Colonial Downs cannot sponsor youth athletic teams or youth athletic events. Colonial Downs will typically grant no more than one contribution to an organization and/or group within a 12-month period.