LOW TAKEOUT PICK 6; SECOND DAILY PICK 5 WITH LOW TAKEOUT AND CARRYOVER TO HIGHLIGHT 2023 WAGERING MENU
Posted on June 6th, 2023
NEW KENT, Va. (June 6, 2023) — Colonial Downs is bringing the Pick 6 back to Virginia when the 2023 season gets underway on July 13. The Old Dominion 6 will be offered as a classic $1 Pick 6 with a 15% takeout on the final six races daily. If there is no wager correctly selecting all six winners, 25% of the net pool will be paid out to those selecting the most winners while 75% will be carried over to the following program.
After a successful debut in 2022, the 50-cent Pick 5 will feature an Early and Late Pick 5 daily. Offered with a 12% takeout rate, the Early Pick 5 will cover the first five flat races while the Late Pick 5 will cover the final five races.
Each Pick 5 will pay out 100% of the net pool to those bettors who correctly select all five winners in the sequence. If there are no winning Pick 5 wagers in either Pick 5, 25% of the net pool will be paid to those who correctly selected the most winners while the remaining 75% will be carried over to the following day’s like Pick 5. Early Pick 5 will carry to the next Early Pick 5 while the Late Pick 5 will carry to the next Late Pick 5 offered.
The Pick 5 and Old Dominion 6 highlight a wagering menu that includes two Pick 4’s. The Early Pick 4 will cover races 2-5 (races 4-7 on Fridays when Steeplechase racing is presented) while the Late Pick 4 will encompass the final four races each day. Colonial Downs will also offer rolling Daily Doubles and rolling Pick 3 wagers starting with the 1:30 p.m. first race each Thursday, Friday and Saturday.
The minimum wager for Win, Place, and Show wagers is $2; the Exacta, Daily Double, Pick 3 and Old Dominion 6 will carry a $1 base; Trifecta, Pick 4, and Pick 5 wagers can be played for as little as 50-cents; and the Superfecta will have a 10-cent minimum.
Colonial Downs kicks off its 2023 season on Thursday, July 13 and will continue through Saturday, September 9. The 27-day meet is highlighted by a record of more than $5.2 million in stakes purses.
The total is buoyed by the relocation of the Grade 1 Arlington Million, Grade 1 $500,000 Beverly D. and Grade 2 $500,000 Secretariat Stakes from their long-time home at Arlington International Racecourse. (The Million and Beverly D. were raced at Churchill Downs in 2022.) In addition, the Grade 3 New Kent County Virginia Derby will carry a $500,000 purse, $200,000 more than last year, and its sister race the (Listed) Virginia Oaks, has been kicked up by $50,000 to $250,000.
The Million, Beverly D., and Secretariat will be raced on Saturday, August 12, the traditional weekend for the internationally renowned trio. The Million will be run at 1¼ miles and the Beverly D. will be contested at 1-3/16 miles while the one-mile Secretariat leads perfectly into the nine-furlong Virginia Derby four weeks later on closing day Saturday, September 9. The Beverly D. is a Breeders’ Cup Challenge “Win and You’re In” race in the Filly & Mare Turf division.
The Virginia Derby will headline closing day with $1.3 million in stakes purses. In addition to the Virginia Derby and Oaks, the closing day program will include the $150,000 Colonial Cup for older runners at the marathon distance of 1½ miles, the $150,000 Da Hoss Stakes for older horses at 5½ furlongs on turf, $125,000 Rosie’s Stakes for 2-year-olds sprinting 5 ½ furlongs on turf, and $125,000 Kitten’s Joy Stakes for 2-year-olds over a two-turn 1-1/16 miles on turf.
All of Colonial Downs races will be televised on FanDuel TV or FanDuel Racing